Sunday, November 14, 2010

HARRY POTTER IN SYDNEY!!!!

If you know me just a little, you know that I am a huge Harry Potter fan. I know the books inside out because I read them every year and they are by far my favorite books. Being a natural crazy fan of anything I like, I am super excited about the first part of the 7th movie coming out in Australia on the 18th (a day and 19 hours earlier than in California!). Having gone to opening day showings of every single Harry Potter movie thus far, I HAD to go to the midnight showing of Harry Potter 7 pt. 1, so I decided to organize a group to go. I expected a big showing, but at Heron Islands, I ended up getting 42 out of 47 people to go. After that, three people caved in because they didn’t want to be left out. It was a lot of fun organizing and mobilizing people to go – I ended up making my coral reef presentation Harry Potter based to get people to know about it and then I made sure to talk to everyone who didn’t sign up to get them to go or figure out why they didn’t want to. Everyone is also going to get dressed up, too, which will be a lot of fun. We have almost all the main characters represented: Harry, Hermione, the Weasleys, the Malfoys, the ghosts, the Quidditch Players, the Horcruxes, the Marauders, the Professors (although no Dumbledore, now that I think about that…). Also, in Australia, you can choose your seats when you buy advanced tickets, so we basically blocked out 4 rows in the movie theater. It’s going to be so much fun – 45 crazy Americans dressed up as all the Harry Potter characters imaginable to watch the movie at midnight. I’m so excited!

So a lot of people decided to come to the movie on the basis that we watch the first six movies or that someone buys the 6th and 7th books and passes them around. But when we got to Straddie, we had a lot of trouble finding the movies and books. One of my friends who originally wasn’t going to go because she hadn’t read the 7th book yet, caved in after I promised to give her a review session on what had happened up to the 7th book. I thought I’d just do it for her, but then two people asked me if I could go over the series, and then a couple more people wanted a review of some sort, so I decided to open it up for everyone.

Because Straddie was pretty boring, my group had to come up with new ways to stay entertained at night when there wasn’t anything to do. Some girls came up with a nightly thing called Arts Break, where someone would teach the group how to do something. We had a few days of learning the Single Ladies dance (I missed the first day so it was really hard to catch up after). Arts Break ended up being the perfect place for me to do my review session. After sending out an email, another friend of mine told me I had to make a Powerpoint for the review session – I was originally just planning on talking and drawing on the white board, which is how I usually teach. Even though she was joking, I decided to make a Powerpoint for fun (I’ve honestly never felt more nerdy in my life) but after a few slides, I got bored, so I ended up doing my review session concept-map style using a white board. It was a good turnout – 20 or so people showed up, and everyone said it was really helpful. I had a lot of fun doing it too.

Yay Harry Potter!! 2 more days!!

No comments:

Post a Comment